Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




The Stick


via La Chat Noir, I found A Blogger's Disclaimer. It's good. I like it. I may have to add it to my sidebar.

Anyway, I've decided to pick up The Stick from sarni, even though she didn't actually nominate me. Because I've seen it around a bit and have been thinking about it for a while. So why not?

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. Which book do you want to be?

And immediately, I have to admit my ignorance. I had no idea what Fahrenheit 451 was. So I googled it. And found this plot overview. Which helped, but I'm still not sure about the question. Is it meant to be which book would you want to memorise as one of "The Book People"? If so, then I think I'll have to choose When we were very young by A. A. Milne since (a) I think it would be a royal shame if those poems and stories were lost to the world, and (b) it's probably the only book I'd have a hope in hell of memorising since I have a completely crap memory.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Yep, all the time. Laurie from Little Women is probably the first to come to mind of my original crushes. When I was young, I couldn't understand why Jo said no to him. I reread it in my 20's and realised that the he was completely wrong for her in ways that the professor was completely right.

To be honest, I can't think of any others right now, but I know there have been many over the years. Maybe too many, which is why I can't remember them! I'm very fickle in my crushes! ;o)

3. The last book you bought was...?

I bought a couple of books for my Mum for her birthday. But for myself, the last book I bought would have been Wise Children by Angela Carter, my book recommendation from Urban Fox.

4. The last book you read was...?

I've not long finished Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, which I thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend to anyone.

But like sarni, I reread books a lot and the last book that I reread I actually finished this morning - Jackdaws by Ken Follett.

5. What are you currently reading?

I haven't started a new book yet after finishing Jackdaws this morning. But I am in the middle of A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, but I have been for a while. I find it hard going because there's no pace to what he writes. But I have learnt a lot.

6. Five books you would take to a desert island...

Assuming that I'd be on the desert island for quite a while with nothing else to read, then I'd take books that I know I like to reread:

- Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding
- Exodus by Leon Uris
- Bachelor Kisses by Nick Earls

Not a very literary little group I know, but if I'm stuck on a desert island, I'd want books that offer some light relief.

7. Who are you passing this stick on to and why?

Since it wasn't actually passed to me specifically, I don't think I'm bound by the last question. I will however, happily link to anyone who volunteers. ;o)

Listening to: Snow Patrol - Final Straw

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Damn blogger, I tried to read your blog today and every time I tried from whatever link I knew about it said that you didn't exist and yet here you are. Well I am happy that your still here I was imagining something terrible had happened.

8:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aurelius - umm... okaaayy... *backs slowly away* ;o)

lushlife - yeah, I've had that happen to a few people I read as well. It always seems to come back again. Don't worry, if I truly disappear from the blogosphere I'll either write a farewell post or comment on my regulars blogs and let you know. And if I leave the world entirely, my family have instructions to tell all my email friends and post to my blog. I'm disturbingly organised that way! ;o)

- OLS

11:22 am  
Blogger swisslet said...

'bachelor kisses' tossed in with 'the lord of the rings'? blimey! bizarrely I have read that book, and it all made a whole lot more sense when I worked out what a "doona" was, and once I had been to Oz and knew first hand the delights of the Monte Christo biscuit.....

And I've still got "Final Straw" in the CD holder I keep in my car - that and the Franz Ferdinand album have been in there for at least 12 months.

ST

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home