Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




Caesar's Bath meme


sarni passed me the Caesar's Bath meme: list five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can't really understand the fuss over. Apparently it's from the words of Caesar (from History of the World Part I), "Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice."

1. Chocolate - I'm with sarni on this one. Sure it's nice and every couple of months I'll buy some, but I really don't understand chocoholics. However, wave some hot chips and gravy in front of my nose and I have no willpower, none at all.

2. AFL - probably half of my friends are huge supporters. I don't mind playing it, but I'm not really a watcher... of any sport actually. I'll watch it if it's on at a friend's house, but I'd really rather watch something else.

3. Fish - I like looking at 'em, but I just don't like eating 'em. I don't mind really mild-tasting fish if I can smother it with lemon juice, but where others rave about salmon steaks and the like, I'd rather not thanks.

4. Bunches of flowers - I like flowers and it's always nice to get them, but I don't really go looking for them and I'm not going to fall head over heels for a guy just because he buys them for me. I think they're a very unimaginative gift. If you want to impress me, give me something unusual that you know I'd like, not flowers. I'd rather be given a flowering plant. They last longer.

5. The Simpsons - most of the people I know can quote it and use examples of episodes to colour their stories. I don't mind it, even watch it occassionally. But I'm certainly not hooked on it, and would usually rather watch something else.

I'll now throw the meme to Bo Peep's Sheep and Beer O'Clock - because I want to see how similar they are! ;o)

Now, just for the fun of it, I thought I'd list 5 things that I'm hugely into that most of my peer group and half of my circle of friends think are only so-so:

1. Buffy - yep, I have all 7 series on DVD. And yep, I still watch them regularly.

2. Blogging - at least half of my friends think I'm weird for having a blog. The other half have blogs themselves.

3. TV - while this is one of sarni's Caesar's bath meme 5, I couldn't live without TV. I like TV - it's pretty and shiny and distracts me from real life admirably. I don't really watch huge amounts of it, but there's nothing better than vegging out in front of the TV when I need something mindless to forget a shitty day. And since I live alone, I often have it on as background noise.

4. Local music - I love being able to see a band that I think is brilliant and hardly anyone else knows. I love it even more when everyone else decides they're brilliant too. I'll see anyone once, and local music is one of the topics that I get really enthusiastic about - especially when I meet someone who actually knows who I'm talking about. My friends just watch and shake their heads...

5. Beer - I love beer and can discuss the merits of various beers the way others discuss the merits of various wines. I just don't sound quite as pretentious. Well, I hope I don't.

My great-aunt died yesterday. At 5pm on 05/05/2005. If she'd waited an hour, a day, a month and a year, they would have thought she was evil. Or something. She's the first of my Grandma's siblings to die, but she was the one I was the least close to, and she'd been in bad health for a while. So I'm sad and a little mopey, but I'm not particularly shocked and I haven't cried.

Listening to: The Thorns - s/t

1 Comments:

Blogger Di Gallagher said...

There is absolutely no pretention around beer... yet.
I will work on this meme immediately.

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home