Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




It's all about da music


Lushlife posted a music quiz and of course I had to take up the challenge.

1. Total number of music files on your computer.

425 files, 1.57GB on this computer. More at home.

2. The last CD you bought was...?

I bought AfroDizziAct and Kafka's latest CDs at their CD launch last Saturday week.

3. What is the last song you listened to before reading this message?

Ben Folds - Brick. Off the "Live" CD.

4. Name five songs you often listen to or which mean a lot to you.

Hmm... this is a hard one. Not for songs that mean a lot to me, but to narrow it down to only five. And five I often listen to. So, in no particular order:

(a) Ben Folds - The Luckiest (if I could find a guy who felt like this for me, I'd be happy. It was also the wedding song for TBF and TBFH)
(b) MGF - Pussy town (when my friend and I travelled through Spain, this was our "day song")
(c) Custard - Apartment (my friends used to sing this to me when I first bought my little apartment back when I was 21yo, it always reminds me of that period of my life)
(d) No Doubt - Don't speak (possibly the ultimate breakup song, it's the been my soundtrack to breakups with boyfriends as well as friends)
(e) george - To the void (I'm not sure what it is about this song, maybe the heartbeat drumbeat, but it makes me feel sexy and radical. Also it reminds me of the good times with The Ex. I'm not too sure if the two are related. *g*)

This list would probably change in 1/2 an hours time though. The three songs that probably mean the most to me, I don't actually listen to that often:-

(a) The Beatles - Yesterday (reminds me of singing along with my Dad while he tentatively played the chords from his Beatles songbook. I also played it in my Grade 9 Eisteddford on flute.)
(b) Peter, Paul & Mary - Gone the Rainbow (this song reminds me of childhood camping trips and sitting around the fire singing along to whatever the person playing guitar could play. I still play and sing it fairly regularly but I don't have a recording of it.)
(c) Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall (this is the first adult song I was obsessed with. I was 6yo.)

5. Which three people are you going to pass this stick on to, and why?

sarni - because she's into similar music to me, but came to popular music much later than I did and I'm curious.

Peter - because I like the music he plays and am interested in the music he's into.

And I'd like SwissToni to answer, because I think he'd give a good answer and I'm curious if the UK influences would be different.

Listening to: No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

9 Comments:

Blogger Di Gallagher said...

I'm just listening to The Luckiest. It's made me cry.
OLS, I sincerely hope you have someone who feels this way about you one day soon. It's really very wonderful to have a boy love you like this.

6:04 pm  
Blogger swisslet said...

Ok then.

1) No. of music files on this computer: 4705 (22.63Gb - which with a 30Gb iPod is getting a little close to capacity)

2) Last CD I bought: I placed an amazon order on Sunday so it's a tie between
- the bravery - the bravery
- Rufus Wainright - want two
- queens of the stoneage - lullabies to paralyze
- The Kaiser Chiefs - employment

3)Last song listened to before reading this message: "Golden Touch" - Razorlight

4) 5 songs I often listen to or which mean a lot:

You're right. This is bloody hard.

a) There is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths (just gorgeous. it's the yearning that gets me)

b)Run - Snow Patrol (beautiful song - always brings a lump to my throat)

c) I Wanna Be Adored - Stone Roses (off one of my favourite ever albums and, along with 'I Am The Resurrection', reminds me of happy times at the indie disco!)

d)The Walker Brothers - Make It Easy On Yourself (sniff sniff)

e)Coldplay - In my Place (again, another sad one, full of yearning)

What does this tell us? That I'm a miserable/soppy old sod, probably.

Songs that mean the most to me are probably different:

a) Happy to be Stuck with You - Huey Lewis & the News (playing in the background at the motorway service station the first time I kissed C.... oh the glamour!)

b) Half a Person - The Smiths (the first Smiths song I ever got into, and when I was 19 this one really spoke to me and introduced me to Morrissey, who has played a huge part in my musical life since then)

c)Time to Say Goodbye - Andrea Boccelli and Sarah Brightman (I don't really like the song, but it was played at the funeral of a friend of mine and was the soundtrack to one of the saddest things I have ever seen as her boyfriend of 6 years was totally excluded by her parents, and left the church wracked with sobs. Still chokes me up thinking about it. Awful.)

These lists will probably have changed by the time I get to work, mind you.

Favourite ever album? I think it's between:
Coldplay - Parachutes
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow

Favourite album of last year?
Interpol - Antics
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Snow Patrol - Final Straw

ah.

Hmmm.

Music.

Thanks for inviting me to take part...

ST

6:27 pm  
Blogger OLS said...

Di - it doesn't make me cry, but it does make me feel wistful. I do love that song. I should post a poem I wrote before I even heard it that it along similar "I love you the way you are" lines.

ST - thanks for taking part. ;o)

And by the way ST, I can't comment on your blog at the moment (whenever I try, it makes IE crash for some reason), so if you're still reading, you might want to check out this post on Unfogged about the Schiavo case. The comments in particular have been interesting.

- OLS

6:37 pm  
Blogger OLS said...

My bad. For some reason I thought you were into classical music as a kid... I must be thinking of someone else.

Ah well, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you answer the quiz and satisfy my curiosity! ;o)

- OLS

7:00 pm  
Blogger swisslet said...

OLS - thanks for the link and sorry you can't comment over at mine at the moment. I miss you!

ST

7:23 pm  
Blogger OLS said...

Awwww.... I'm missed? Now I feel all warm and fuzzy!

I'll be back as soon as I'm able to, I promise.

- OLS

9:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got good taste in music :)..

6:55 pm  
Blogger OLS said...

Thanks hastang, but by "good" you mean "similar to yours" yeah? ;o)

I tried to find the blog from your link, but I kept on getting diverted to http://home.myspace.com/ and a search on there for "hastang" didn't get me anywhere either.

So now of course, I have to ask - who are you? And how did you get here?

- OLS

10:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try this..

http://hastang.blogdrive.com/

:)

3:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home