Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




I don't understand


There are some things in life I just don't understand.

I don't understand how someone can live their life without music. If I was to go completely deaf, I think I'd go nuts. But more to the point, I don't understand these people who have perfect hearing, but just don't care. They don't get that surge of emotion and memory with music. Their mood isn't changed by hearing something beautiful or uplifting or sad. And that I don't get.

Probably the same way that jocks don't get that I don't care about professional sport. I like to play sport, and I play to win, but I've never followed any professional sport. I don't understand how someone can get so completely wrapped up in "their" team that they would start a fight with someone wearing the opposing colours. I don't understand getting upset when your team loses. I don't understand being obnoxiously happy when they win. On the rare occassion when I watch sport, I pick a team to cheer on, but my mood isn't changed by the result.

In much the same way, I don't understand people who get all het up about politics. For me, politics are never black and white. Never Republican vs Democrat (to use the US example). I can't imagine refusing to date someone because they didn't vote the same way as me. But then I can't imagine dating someone who was very left or very right politically either. I'm an unashamed centrist. My decision to vote is based on the policies and the candidates at the time. Political parties are made up of people - the people change and so the policies change. And so my opinion of the party changes.

I don't understand why someone would write a computer virus. Why write something so destructive, so anonymous, so indiscriminating? I can understand mass murderers and bombers more than I can understand that, and my understanding of someone that can willfully take another's life is pretty dim as well.

I don't understand gambling. Why risk what you have for something that's only a slim possibility?

I don't understand quantum physics. But then, apparently very few people do. ;o)

Listening to: Ben Folds - Live

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home