Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




International Women's Day


It's International Women's Day next Tuesday (8 March). So why am I telling you about this? Well, because I went to the UNIFEM IWD breakfast this morning. It was pretty good - interesting speakers for the main part, nice food, all the good stuff. And I picked up a heap of brochures in the stalls outside.

IWD is a pretty big deal in Queensland this year, because this year is the 100th anniversary of women getting the right to vote in Qld (well, most women. Indigenous people didn't get the right to vote until 60 years later, so it's also the 40th anniversary of them getting the right to vote). That's right, women couldn't vote in Qld until 1905 and Aboriginal people couldn't vote until 1965. Thankfully, both events were well before my birth.

This afternoon, I head off for the funeral of an elderly relative (my great uncle). He is the last of the generation from my Mum's parents side, and we are a close family, so it's a pretty big deal for my Mum and her cousins. I probably knew him as well as most people know their grandparents - I'd see him maybe twice a year, he knew more about my life than I did about his, and I thought he was a lovely man. I felt that I should go to the funeral - after all, I live in Brisbane and the funeral is here. It's not like I have to travel to attend. And I can get the time off work easily. So I'm going. I've no idea what it will be like. I'm feeling pretty emotional today and I may cry. I've packed tissues into my handbag just in case.

Requests/Questions - since I've only had one question so far, I'll leave answers to Monday - giving the rest of you time to catch up on my blog, ask your questions if you so desire, and me time to think about the answers. ;o)

Listening to: Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home