Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




a long and lazy weekend


I had the day off on Friday. No particular reason, just because I could. Work isn't particularly frantic at the moment and I knew I was going out on Thursday night, so a day off on Friday seemsed like a particularly good idea.

Thursday night, I went to The Necks with The Tall Guy and Genie. I'd not heard any of their stuff before, but they sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I think the idea is more interesting that the performance. They play these incredibly long (45 min to an hour each) seamless compositions where one member changes what he is playing ever so slightly every minute or so, so that the composition goes from being soft and simple, to louder and complicated and then back again. That's not a very good description, but it's the best I can do. As I said, interesting in theory. In practice, I found it very repetitive and sort of boring. Probably didn't help that I was tired and it was very cold in the Judith Wright Centre so I was going into hibernation mode.

Friday, I slept in and watched some of the stuff I'd taped during the week, but hadn't got around to watching. I also watched The Stepford Wives on DVD - I know a lot of people have bagged this movie, but I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't watch it again, but I found it funny and enjoyed the social commentary aspect to it. I guess having experienced the pressure of people trying to make me a "Stepford Wife", I enjoyed the backlash cynicism of the storyline.

Saturday, I went to look at another property with TBF. Hated the property, but really liked the real estate agent - he managed to promote the property without being pushy. And accepted that I didn't like it. Some real estate agents wanted to know what I would buy the property for and couldn't accept that I just wouldn't buy it because I didn't like it. After all, I'm planning to live in this place, I have to feel comfortable there. And it's a unit, I can't really change it, so it doesn't matter how cheap it is, I'm not going to buy it. Now if it was a house... ;o)

This brings me to the topic of another rant of mine. I email real estate agents. It's much faster for me than calling and I don't need the information straight away. Plus, I like to have details of the properties in writing because I keep a bit of a database of what I've found. Anyway, I'm the customer and surely the agents could email me answers. But no, many of them reply to my enquiries with a "please call my mobile" sort of response. I can never be bothered to call, so basically they've lost me already. I'll happily attend open houses or make appointments to see a place though. And I'm unlikely to get excited by a place enough to think about buying it unless I've been to look at it (nearly every place I've seen is a lot better in person than it was in the photos). So by them insisting on phone contact, they've lost a potential buyer. *sigh* Real estate agents!

Anyway, back to the tale of my weekend...

That afternoon, I got my new car stereo installed. It's very pretty. And sounds good too. One thing I hadn't realised when I bought it is that it comes with a remote control. This I don't get - I mean, it's in the car, why would you need a remote control?

While it was being installed, TBF and I (and her friend from Sydney) went to the local cinema because it would be nice and cool and the Sydney friend was practically expiring from the heat. We saw Bride and Prejudice, since TBF and I had seen a short for it and thought it looked great. I knew that it was a Bollywood style film and was expecting it to be cheesy and colourful with the actors breaking into song and dance routines. And that's exactly what it was. There's no sex scenes in Bollywood films (not even kissing), so I found some of the lovey-dovey scenes a bit jarring because they stare at each other adoringly, their faces get closer and closer, and then they hug. Anyway, I did enjoy it - laughed a lot and gazed adoringly at Martin Henderson. Gotta say though - he was outshone by Aishwarya Rai in the looks stakes - she is truly stunning.

Saturday night, I chatted with one of my dates-to-be. We've been emailing for a little while now and he makes me laugh, so I sent him a text message to see if he was around and he called me back and we talked for over an hour (I'd hate to see his mobile bill after that one!). He doesn't live in Brisbane, so I won't get to meet him in person until Sunday week, but I'm actually really interested in this one.

On the dating front, I've also got another date on Wednesday and one lined up for this coming weekend. It's been weird, the interesting ones seem to come in waves. I'm not sure how interested I am in either guy - one of them hasn't got a very clear photo and I'm such a face person that I just can't get excited by him without knowing what he looks like (yes I know this makes me shallow). The other one is interesting, but I think he might be a bit too intense for me. I don't take life too seriously and tend to be a bit irreverant, and I like people who are similar in that sense. Ah well, see what he's like in person I guess.

Sunday, I did the housework, went grocery shopping, washed my car, mowed the lawn and generally ran around getting sweaty. When all was done, I went for a swim, then spent the evening doing a "beauty intensive" on myself - I washed my hair and put one of those intensive treatments through it (it really needs a cut), soaked my feet and rubbed off the scaly bits, and then moisturised from top to toe. I then wrapped myself in a sarong, sat on the couch in front of the fan (very nice on newly moisturised skin), and browsed The Sunday Mail (a poor excuse for a newspaper, but contains a good TV guide and occasionally interesting entertainment articles). I seem to have become very addicted to the idiot box lately - I don't really watch that much stuff, but I like to have it in the background when I'm making/eating dinner, checking my email, talking to my Mum on the phone and so on. I think the fact that I'm not totally engrossed by my current book (A Short History of Nearly Everything - it's interesting, but not a story) is leading to this habit, and maybe I'll return to my usual minimal TV viewing when I finish it and move onto something more entertaining.

Listening to: Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I have been reading the same book -I love the almost trivial nature of the information. Two things that will be indelibly etched in my memory - what would happen if a meteor hit the earth and the number of mites in a pillow over 6 years old!

2:05 pm  
Blogger OLS said...

I don't think I've reached those bits yet - I'm only up to the atoms bit (chapter 7 or 8 I think)

I like the width of a piece of paper cf height of the Empire State Building analogy for the number of atoms end to end in a mm.

- OLS

8:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home