Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year


A Christmas message which the lawyers will enjoy (it arrived in my inbox from my Dad this morning):

From me ......................................................("the wishor")
to you ........................................................("the wishee")

Please accept without obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious,socially responsible, politically correct, low stress,non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the summer solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2005 , but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects, and having regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are bound by these terms that:-

*This greeting is subject to further clarification or withdrawal.

*This greeting is freely transferable provided that no alteration shall be made to the original greeting and that the proprietary rights of the wishor are acknowledged.

*This greeting implies no promise by the wishor to actually implement any of the wishes.

*This greeting may not be enforceable in certain jurisdictions and/or the restrictions herein may not be binding upon certain wishees in certain jurisdictions and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wishor.

*This greeting is warranted to perform as reasonably may be expected within the usual application of good tidings, for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

The wishor warrants this greeting only for the limited replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wishor.

Any references in this greeting to "The Lord", "Father Christmas", "Our Saviour", "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer" or any other festive figures, whether actual or fictitious, dead or alive, shall not imply any endorsement by or from them in respect of this greeting, and all proprietary rights in any referenced third party names and images are hereby acknowledged.

This greeting is made under Australian Law, and only actionable under the laws of the said land.

Dated this 24th Day of December 2004




And since this will be my last post until next year, a 2004 retrospective, as stolen from Retro-Boy:

What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Heaps of stuff. Went on numerous blind dates is probably the one that comes most to mind since it's the one thing I'd never done before that I did a lot of this year.

Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I can't actually remember what they were, so I'm not sure. And yeah, I'll make more for next year. I always do and then I always forget what they were.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep - T gave birth to her and S's baby.

Did anyone close to you die?
No - but someone close to someone I'm close to died.

What countries did you visit?
Scotland, England, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland and Japan.

What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
That someone special in my life (sorry for the sappiness - it is Christmas after all when all single people feel far more single than usual)

What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The date I arrived back home and saw all of my friends and family for the first time in months.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Paying off my car in 7 months after coming back to Australia dead broke.

What was your biggest failure?
Being stuck in a secondment where I was bored.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yep - many.

What was the best thing you bought?
The full catalogue of Buffy DVDs (all 7 seasons) - yep, I know I'm sad. ;o)

Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My nephew - but really only because he went from being very shy around me to being delighted to see me, which makes a girl feel great! Not because his behaviour was objectively wonderful.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My niece - I know it's mostly not her fault, but she really can be a real brat.

Where did most of your money go?
On the car, CD/DVD purchases, stuff for the house

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The birth of T&S's baby

What song will always remind you of 2004?
I still call Australia home? I don't know. I probably won't know until a couple of years down the track.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder? happier
thinner or fatter? not sure - probably a little thinner since I'm drinking less Guinness
richer or poorer? way, way richer (I was dead broke in Europe this time last year)

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Travel.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressing.

How will you be spending Christmas?
With my family (and possibly
verbs).

Did you fall in love in 2004?
No, but I developed a couple of new crushes.

What was your favorite TV program?
CSI

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
*ponders* I don't think so. I don't hate anyone I can think of. I probably like a few people a little less than I did this time last year, but I honestly can't think of anyone there either.

What was the best book you read?
World of Chickens - Nick Earls (but only because
Naylor's Canberra is unfinished *g*)

What was your greatest musical discovery of 2004?
Oooh. Tough one. Probably
Wesley Davidson or The Meadows. Everyone else wasn't really a discovery, more of a re-awakening.

What did you want and get?
Many, many consumer goods. A promotion.

What did you want and not get?
Same as for "What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004"

What was your favorite film of this year?
Somersault probably. I actually haven't seen that many.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Arrived back in the country from Europe. I was 30.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Same as for "What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004" (am I starting to sound like a broken record? I'm pretty happy being single, but I pretty much got everything else I wanted this year).

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Same as always. Whatever is comfortable and doesn't require ironing.

What kept you sane?
Family and friends. The free therapy represented by this blog.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Well, I think we all know by now that I have a little crush on
Guy Webster...

What political issue stirred you the most?
The intolerance of people for the political views of others.

Who did you miss?
My Dublin friends.

Who was the best new person you met?
I can't think of any people I met this year that had a big influence on me. I rekindled some very old friendships that have changed my life though. The cutest would have been T&S's baby.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
Sometimes it's better to let go of a friend than to hold on out of guilt.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"A clock is ticking, but it's hidden far away safe and sound"
This year was a year of me putting things on hold - more travel, buying a house, progressing my career. I know I should do something about them all soon, but I'm still procrastinating.


I found this post on Unfogged about the torture of prisoners of war in Iraq really interesting. I agree with a lot of what John says.

And also via Unfogged, Project Honey Pot looks interesting. It was developed to identify spammers before they send spam to you. To quote from their blurb:

Using the Project Honey Pot system you can install addresses that are custom-tagged to the time and IP address of a visitor to your site. If one of these addresses begins receiving email we not only can tell that the messages are spam, but also the exact moment when the address was harvested and the IP address that gathered it.

Spread the word.

Listening to: the Christmas CD of the girl across the way from me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home