Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




Diagnosis


I went to the doctor yesterday.

I've had a sort of low-grade nausea for a couple of weeks now and figured I should get it checked out. The good news is that I'm not pregnant, I don't have Motor Neuron Disease (which my maternal grandmother and a couple of great-great aunts died of), and I don't have Lupus (which my Mum has). The bad news is that they still don't know what's causing it and a couple of the causes left to investigate include an ulcer (though apparently that's unlikely since I usually feel better just after I've eaten) and the big C. The only good thing there is that, because it's only low-grade nausea, it's likely that if it's either of them, they've caught it quickly enough to do something about it.

In the meantime though, I still feel like crap.

I've had something like this twice before - when I was 16 to 18, and for a couple of weeks when I was about 24. Both times, I got a whole heap of tests done (including a gastroscopy), but they never figured out what it was. Not an ulcer, no inflammation of the stomach lining, all tests clear except for a slight elevation of something to do with my liver. Eventually, it just seemed to resolve itself of it's own accord.

The first time, I put it down to the food in boarding school - it was horribly greasy and I always felt ill about 1/2 hour after I ate, but I was fine at home (where I ate better). The second time, it was put down to stress over exams.

This time, I'm eating pretty well (certainly avoiding anything greasy since I feel so blah), I'm not particularly stressed, and I'm getting plenty of sleep. So there has to be something else right?

Ah well, I guess I'll find out when I go back to the doctor for the rest of my results.

Listening to: Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

What about gall bladder problems, I think I have had a couple of attacks, nausea but more intense than the pain you describe and particulaly after eating a rich meal i.e. roast pork and crackling. I did some research and it is a problem that women in particular can have as they get older.

12:36 pm  
Blogger OLS said...

sarni - apparently IBS would usually mean that I'd be having trouble with the other end as well, and I'm not. It's another one I asked about.

lushlife - I'm not eating anything rich at the moment! ;o) EG plain pasta (ie no sauce) was the most I could face for dinner last night. I don't think that gall bladder has been checked yet, probably because the pain is much higher, just under my ribs.

Thank you both for your comments though - it's always good to think of other things I can ask my doctor about! At this stage, I'd just like to know.

- OLS

1:25 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry about the stress you must be feeling right now. My fingers are crossed for your getting the relatively good news that this is nothing to worry about, from your doctor.

3:11 pm  
Blogger Di Gallagher said...

In the mornings on my drive to work I would feel mild nausea, whether I had eaten or not. Then I started to take Inner Health Plus (the ones they advertise on the telly). No more nausea. All gone. Lucky me that it was that simple, that all I had to do was introduce 25 million good bacteria to my tummy every morning.

3:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home