Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




flatmates and humour


I checked out a new place last night. Gorgeous flat, nice complex, close in, nice girl. And she has a cat, which is a bonus (well, for me anyway - I like cats). I told her that I was a bit gun shy after a couple of bad flatmate experiences and went through all of my bad habits according to ex-flatmates and, from the sounds of things, she is much the same. She certainly didn't seem to have any problems with any of the traits I mentioned. I have no doubts that she would speak her mind if something annoyed her, but she seems pretty laid back about stuff.

Anyway, I should know by the weekend if I've got the place or not. Which works in pretty well for me, as I'm planning to spend the weekend looking around one-bedroom places. I have a couple of appointments to see the places that I've already seen the outside of, and I'll do the drive around to check out those that aren't within the scope of my walk home.

On a completely unrelated issue - I was thinking as I was walking home last night about people people saying you've got a good sense of humour - so what is a good sense of humour? Isn't it just saying that someone has the same sense of humour as you? I mean has anyone ever said that they have a bad sense of humour? Or no sense of humour? I laugh a lot (and easily) and people frequently laught at... I mean with me. Does this mean I have a good sense of humour? Or just that I'm a klutz who frequently seems to suffer from foot in mouth affliction and makes sarcastic comments about what I observe? I was just wondering because I do have a decidedly bizarre sense of humour. People either get me or they don't. I find little things hilarious. When I'm in a good mood, I tend to be a bit hyperactive and slightly crazy. I'm definitely quirky. To give you an example, sometimes when the Ex used to move in for a kiss (back when he was the current and not the ex), I'd lick the tip of his nose instead. I thought it was hilarious. Thankfully, so did he.

And then there's my laughs. I have a number of different laughs which appear on different occassions. I don't have a fake laugh. I tend not to force a laugh just because it seems appropriate. I used to when I was younger, but now I'm more likely to just smile, or maybe say "ha ha". Maybe this would explain the people who don't think I have a good sense of humour. *shrugs*

But I do have:

* giggle - much as I hate to admit it, yep, I do giggle. There are even a number of forms of my giggle from the embarrassed/nervous giggle (they sound the same) to the delighted giggle.

* belly laugh - this is the one that just bubbles up and then is so hard to stop. Apparently it's very distinctive - friends have found me in a room of hundreds by following it like Hansel and Gretel followed the breadcrumbs.

* chuckle - this one usually comes about because of a dirty joke or double entendre. It's frequently accompanied by a smirk. Most commonly used around my family because they all have completely filthy minds.

* dirty chuckle - reserved for the truly filthy jokes or when I'm thinking something wicked. It's usually pretty quiet and seems to originate around my toes somewhere and is deeper than my voice, though I don't know quite how that works.

* talking laugh - when I'm saying something and laughing through it. It's shallower than the belly laugh, both in volume and content.

* the groaning laugh - this is the one that seems to happen whenever someone uses a pun. I happen to like puns. I think they're funny. But they're so corny, that I can't stop groaning and rolling my eyes at the same time.

I think that's it. There are variations of all of the above, but they are the basic categories. I'm also very proud of the fact that I don't have a bray - those awful laughs that are just far too high-pitched and far too loud. I think I find them so annoying because they never seem to be a real laugh, they sound very forced.

Listening to: Ben Kweller - On my way

1 Comments:

Blogger OLS said...

Well, actually, I think I owe you about THREE emails - one on the political stuff, one on Canada and one on the personality profile (which has been sitting in my drafts for about 2 months now).

I know, I know... I'm very slack!

- OLS

10:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home