Observant little ...

I don't understand the answer, but I may have some ideas on the question...




feeling blah


I just feel blah today - my hair's gone frizzy, my back's sore, I have a bit of a headache and a little zit on my nose. PMS? You bet! You wanna make something of it? ;o)

And I have a date tonight. All I can do to counteract this is wear my FMB's and nice underwear. And eat chocolate - I don't usually like chocolate, but I'm craving it today for some reason. So I'm sitting here eating a Crunchie right now. Love that morning tea trolley.

Is everyone else thinking that the election almost doesn't seem to be happening? If it wasn't for the nightly news snippets of Howard and Latham big-noting themselves, I wouldn't even know that it was coming up. It's a little sad that I seem to know as much about the American election at the moment as I do about the Australian one. Even sadder that the reason for this is that they seem to be getting equal attention in the media.

I didn't even know who the candidates in my electorate are until I started thinking about this earlier this morning and did a google search on my electorate to try and find out. Good old ABC has an excellent site on the whole thing. The national broadcaster comes through again.

I'm thinking I'll probably vote for the Greens in the Lower House and Democrat in the Senate. I'm not overly thrilled with the Greens lately, but they're the best of a bad bunch. I also have candidates for Family First Party and Citizens Electoral Council in my electorate. Neither party seems to have any real policies and their views on what they have got are (in my view) pretty unrealistic, so they're out. I mean, honestly, with policies that refer to "cartel-rigged low prices for farm products", do these guys actually expect anyone with half a brain to vote for them? They sound as nuts as some of the guys I used to prosecute! Family First sound a little more reasonable, but one of their policies is that "a Families Commission be established to provide analysis and advice on the impact on the family by all legislation". I'm not sure that they have any idea how much legislation is passed by Parliament in a year - it's already a very slow process and having to jump over yet another hurdle on the "impact on the family" is just going to make it ridiculous.

So now all I have to do is work out my order of preferences.

Thinking of ABC, has everyone voted for their favourite book? I voted for Zigzag Street by Nick Earls - I've loved that book for ages and it's one that I can go back to again and again. Actually, I haven't read a book of his yet that wasn't bloody good. I think it's a shame that he's not that well known outside of Queensland. Bachelor Kisses is another favourite.

Listening to: Wesley Davidson

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you

a)Actually know who your local candidates are
b)Work out your preferences individually

Me tends to rock up, curse at compulsory voting and copy off of whoever hands me a how to vote card first.

9:31 pm  
Blogger OLS said...

Ah this is only because:

(a) I didn't want to vote with either of the major parties and didn't know who else was available; and

(b) I don't like being told what to do.

I guess I come from a relatively politically savvy family and lots of my friends are far more politically aware than I am, so I'm fairly up-to-date with the issues. Certainly enough that I would never vote One Nation anyway.

I would never vote according to the first "How to Vote" card I get - to me, that would be like doing a donkey vote (a vote which doesn't count). I think if you don't contribute to the process, you can't complain about what you get. And I like to complain about what I get! ;o)

- OLS

10:01 am  
Blogger Hugh said...

I like Zigzag Street too. It is one of those books I pick up out of the blue and can't put it back down. I don't think I'm anything like Richard though!

1:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home